In Arizona, only attorneys who are certified as specialist by the State Bar of Arizona – Board of Legal Specialization can claim to be a certified specialist. This certification is a distinct honor, and only a very small percentage of Arizona lawyers have been granted specialist certification.
One of our current senior partners holds such certification, having been certified as a Specialist in Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Litigation by the State Bar of Arizona Board of Legal Specialization. This certification is a unique certification which requires meeting all of the following established standards:
• Admission to the practice of law for 5 years (7 for Criminal Law and Real Estate Law)
• Admission to the State Bar of Arizona for 2 years immediately preceding submission of the application (3 years for Real Estate)
• Devotion of at least 50% of a full-time practice to the specialty area (70% for Family Law)
• Substantial involvement in the certification area for 4 of the 6 years immediately preceding submission of the application (5 or 7 years for Real Estate)
• Additionally, peer review is conducted and a written examination must be passed.
For Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Certification, the attorney must pass a stringent test, demonstrate honesty, integrity, and professionalism as defined by the Lawyer’s Creed of Professionalism of the State Bar of Arizona, and possess a “high degree of competence in the practice of personal injury and wrongful death.”
The degree of competence required to be certified as a specialist is “substantially higher than that possessed by a general practitioner who regularly handles a personal injury and wrongful death matter.”
While the number of attorneys certified as a specialist in personal injury and wrongful death litigation varies, it is estimated that less than 1% of practicing Arizona attorneys currently have this certification.
To learn more about the competence, integrity, and other matters required to achieve a specialist certification, please click here.
Schedule Your Free Consultation